Mildew is a type of fungus that can be found growing on a multitude of surfaces where moisture and temperature levels are high. Mildew can typically be identified by its color ranging from a pinkish-orange to black. Most mildews are caused by an overgrowth of its close cousin, mold.
Our professional housecleaners will be able to impede the growth of mildew by removing the built up food sources that it lives on, such as soap, skin, hair and etc. However, as long as humidity is present, mildew will grow in the area.
To stop the growth of mildew, the area must be kept dry or in many cases, it must be chemically treated. Chlorine bleach is a good sanitizer to use on an infected area.
To reduce the pungent odor of the bleach, dilute it up to 50% with water. The most practical application method would be to lightly spray the mildew affected area. It is not necessary to apply bleach to uninfected areas. Leave the bleach in contact with the surface area for at least an hour. Rinse any area that you will touch in later use. Repeat the application on a bi-weekly basis or when mildew reappears.
While chlorine bleach is not a Green Seal Certified® chemical, it must be used in some severe cases when you or your family’s health is at risk. Because this product is not Green Seal Certified®, The Cleaning Authority does not carry it, but you can find it easily in your local grocery store.
We hope the information above explains why mildew is such an on-going challenge. Please don’t hesitate to contact us should you have additional questions.
Back to top